When we began work on baby bee’s room, I knew exactly what I wanted the end product to look like, including the dresser I wanted. Her room isn’t very large, so I knew there wasn’t room for a big dresser, but I wanted something small that could hold onesies and diapers and act as a changing table for when she was tiny.
Do you know how hard it is to find a small dresser?!
Well, let me tell you! We searched. Granted, we didn’t want to spend very much money, especially if the dresser required refinishing, so that made it a bit more difficult. But even just finding something the right dimensions was hard. I got to the point that I was even looking at the cheap flimsy stuff from Walmart and Target. And every tutorial I saw in blog land about this amazing Craigslist find or great dresser found on the curb just made me annoyed…
Until I found my own! :)
In a last ditch effort, I made a Facebook status asking my friends to keep an eye out for a small dresser that was preferably white or could be refinished to white and not too expensive. Can I just say my friends are awesome? So many of them tried really hard to find what we needed! How cool is that!? And one of them ended up being perfect:
Yes, I did say perfect…
Our church’s youth pastor text me the day after I posted that status asking me if it was true that we needed a small dresser. His mom had seen my status and mentioned something to him. Of course, I said yes. He told me that they had one we could have, if we were interested!
Woot! Woot! :)
The next day we went to the church and out he pulled our little blue baby! It wasn’t pretty but it was the perfect size, made of solid wood, and in decent shape. I knew it could be just what we needed with a little TLC!
And that’s exactly what I did! I by no means am an expert at furniture refinishing. Like with little miss’s chair, this was my first experience with redoing a dresser. Also like her chair, the end result isn’t perfect, but I love it!
First, I sanded. Luckily we still had Corey’s dad’s hand sander from the floor refinishing project. It still took three passes to make it even remotely ready to be painted. That blue layer was thick, and under the blue was white, followed by green. Unfortunately I didn’t take any pictures- I was too much in go mode! After each pass I wiped it down with cheesecloth. Originally I left the handles that came with it on, since I wasn’t strong enough to take them off on my own (like I said- that blue was thick!) and I was working on it while Corey was at work. When Corey got home though I had him pry those suckers off and I sanded some more!
Next, I started painting. I could have used our paint sprayer, but decided against it. I have no good reason really, except I haven’t used the sprayer yet and didn’t feel like trying it for the first time on my dresser! Instead I just used one of my good paintbrushes and the white paint we had used on the trim in her room since we had it on hand. I did the drawers first and then the dresser itself. If I remember correctly, it took six coats. It was a lot of painting. If you look closely, you can see some brush strokes, as well as where the original handles were, but it’s not noticeable unless you’re really inspecting the thing, so I let it be. I also didn’t bother with polyeurathane or polyacrylic. Quite frankly, I was sick of painting and since it was a semi-gloss paint, I figured it would be glossy enough. Plus, the dresser is small enough that if I decide it needs freshened up later I can go for the poly then.
We let it dry for two full days before moving it inside… I was mega paranoid about it being sticky or getting dinged up. Plus, the new knobs I bought hadn’t come in yet, so there was no need to rush! :)
Once the knobs came in though and the dresser was in place, Corey hopped right to getting those babies on! And ooo, mama- they are perfect! They took a little searching to find- I started looking at Menards, but they were $5 a piece! I wasn’t about to fork over $40 on knobs for a free dresser, so I held off. I checked Walmart just to see, and surprisingly they had some, but they weren’t quite what I wanted, so I waited again. Then I went to trusty, good ol’ Amazon and found the perfect match– cheap and pretty!
To finish the dresser project off then only required the mirror, which was another free project! We had the mirror itself from remodeling at our old house, and Corey used the trim we had replaced in the baby’s room to build the frame. The pink was the paint we had already used for her room too! Corey just framed it out, we hung it up (using the heavy duty command strips on the mirror and nailing the frame over it), and there you have it! The finished product:
The dresser from one angle…
And from the other!
All dressed up and ready to go! :)